[Autosail] Autonomous sailboat assistance

William Gibson william.gibson.wg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 19:38:03 EDT 2016

Hello!

My name is William, I met with Bruce at Maker Festival, and he was very
interested in our autonomous sailboat project and gave me this email
address.

We were hoping to get some assistance with our sail and rigging
construction and setup, and were wondering if we could get someone who is
interested from your club to come help us out.
The best day for us would be Tuesday the 30th, around 7 or 8pm. Of course
we would be flexible with whomever is interested in helping.

We would also be interested in purchasing some materials for this purpose,
if that's possible:

   - sail cloth
   - sail tape
   - grommets

We have not yet purchased servos, but would get these from a hobby store.

   - Is the rudder servo choice critical, or will any plain jane servo work
   here?
   - We need an arm-type servo for the rigging setup we plan to follow - is
   this a good choice: HS-765HB (
   http://hobbyhome.ca/product/sail-arm-hs-765hb-universal/), or do you
   have any recommendations?
   - Is it better we have the servos installed before the sail/rigging?

Here's a picture of our current progress, with my teammate Mark. The mast
and stays are mostly prepared, and the deck is almost ready to go on.

[image: Inline image 1]

Hopefully soon we will be able to put her in the water - ideally we could
bring the boat to one of your regular sailing events, and have someone
experienced show us how to trim the sails, then sail it for us on the
maiden voyage.

Looking forward to hearing from you;
William Gibson