[Quadcopter] Status Update / Progress!

Dan Fraser dfraser at capybara.org
Fri Mar 9 11:47:52 EST 2012

So, as I put on the google doc, my goal for this project was to
build a larger quad that could lift a camera. I've started this in the
past with @elmood and this quadcopter group has inspired me to keep the
project alive!

So far I've chosen components and placed a HobbyKing
order. I'm getting everything but the controller right now, and I want
to complete the basic build and make sure the motors spin etc before I
make that investment. I also want to take some time to decide between
something like an Arducopter board and an off-the-shelf unit like GAUI
GU-344 or FYETECH 91Q. I have a spare Spektrum AR6200 receiver in my
spare parts bin, so that will help the project cost.

Here's the
spreadsheet with my calculations so far:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtUpGrggZL4MdHhPUU9xcC12MWlRUjd4VFRkNlBYOHc

Given the calculated thrust and all-up-weight of the design, it
should be able to lift a nice camera or other fun payload. I'm not sure
if the prop/motor combination I've chosen will be particularly
efficient, but it should at least get the thing in the air for starts.

I'm working with @elmood to design a 500-600mm frame that can be made
out of inexpensive materials and can be cut out on the hacklab laser,
giving us an infinite supply of spare frame parts for when this thing
takes a dirt nap :)

So, that's what's up with me!

How's everyone
else doing? I'd love to meet this weekend but I'm visiting my parents in
London... anyone else planning on attending this Saturday?

Cheers,

Dan