[Shop] Lathe semi-broken, use carefully!

Igor Yeremin igor.yeremin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 23:42:21 EST 2018

Update: Lathe is now fixed! (actually several weeks ago, but I forgot to
send the update, oops)

Apparently Busy Bee doesn't sell replacement parts anymore, so I ended
up buying a piece of 4140 and machining a new end cap. The lead screw
was straightened by chucking it in the lathe on one end and pulling
really hard on the other. It now runs out less than 0.005", compared to
over 0.040" after the crash. The old nut appears to be working just fine.

To prevent the same sort of crash from happening again, I drew a mark
with a silver sharpie to indicate where you should stop feeding the
cross slide before it collides with the rear wall. The mark is on the
saddle, left of the cross slide, "END STOP" is written next to it. I'll
put photo of it on the wiki next time I'm at the lab.