[Autosail] Week 2/11

William Gibson william.gibson.wg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 22:14:47 EDT 2016

Hello Team!

Lots of great progress on the hull this past week, thanks everyone.
The plankening begins on Monday - Norm, Emma and Ravi have volunteered
through Wednesday.
I believe ideally we will have 2 people each night, there is limited space
to work.
I would like to take a shift on Tuesday - I have adjusted my Doodle poll,
please do the same to select your 'preferred' shift(s), now that we know
general availability.
Please take pictures and report progress, so we know if we need more
volunteers.

Work is proceeding on the other mechanical areas, and the sail.

More effort is needed in these areas:

   - Autopilot Firmware (critical)
   - Camera mounting
   - Sail Arm servo DIY
   - Keel casting

Materials that need to be purchased/acquired by the end of this week

   - Epoxy for Carbon Fiber work
   - Wood filler / putty / etc. for smoothing hull before CF
   - 600-800 grit sandpaper for CF
   - Keel aluminum (Mark L?)
   - Plaster of paris / other casting supplies (Mark V?)

By the end of this week (3), we should have the hull planked and covered in
CF. Ideally the lead keel will also be cast to the keel aluminum bar.

That leaves *two weeks* to complete the mechanical build.

The following week (4) will be sail and mounting keel to hull. The compass
module should have arrived, and we should have a electrical and mechanical
mounting solution to the top of the mast. (Alan?)

The last week (5) should be servos and decking.

For the autopilot side of things, I am finally getting close to a working
sailboat simulator, to allow experimentation with our autopilot algorithm.
The code should easily translate into autopilot code - HOWEVER: we also
need the compass module library working (poke Av) to produce our relative
wind direction.

https://github.com/wgprojects/ardupilot branch: APMsailboat
https://github.com/hacklabto/hacksail-sim/

I'm not sure we need to call an official meeting this week - mostly it's
lots of small projects that need working on in parallel. Feel free to show
up to a plankening night to hang out, or stop by Slack and chat. Bug me if
you feel you can take on a challenge, and aren't sure what to approach!

Thanks again - keep up the hard work! At week 6-7 when we can start
sailing, it's going to get even more fun!

Will
<https://github.com/wgprojects/ardupilot>