[Quadcopter] first meeting report

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 3 16:36:30 EST 2012

We had about 8 people at the meeting.  Dan's simulator was a huge hit.
We added our names & budget/desires to the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjkGMFschMTUdGdrSzZDSzhTUWhhRjZma2IwalNWMFE

In general we're interested in two types of quadcopters:
  - super tiny, no features at all (about 5 people up for this, most
want their own)
  - big, full wireless video heads up display (similarly about 5 people
want shares of this)

There is some interest in autonomous stuff as well, but in my opinion we
should defer that until after we've got some working quadcopters :-)

If you're up for some research, the google doc has sheets for all the
parts: quadcopter base, radios, battery, FPV equipment, and of course
"other" :-).  Try to focus on the open source stuff, since I think we'd
all prefer that.

Given our experience with the flight simulator, I'm thinking that we
should buy/make the little tiny guys first, and gain experience flying
them around.  Costs less when we crash them!  Once we're more
comfortable and know more, we can move into the more complicated
FPV-capable quadcopter, which we can build out in stages.  Comments on
this plan?

Eric