[Quadcopter] Status Update / Progress!

Dan Fraser dfraser at capybara.org
Fri Mar 9 12:58:46 EST 2012

>From what I've seen, the motor and prop really work closely together
as a system. I'm not sure of the physics or calculations behind it, so
I'm choosing based on anecdotal evidence that the choices work. Certain
props are most efficient at certain rpm ranges, and there may be other
factors...

There are a bunch of online calculators (one is linked off
my spreadsheet) that will help you calculate how much power the motor
will draw, etc. You can also do it experimentally with a wattmeter and a
scale, I gather.

As far as maximizing flight time, I guess you need a
motor and prop combo that will get the most thrust with the least amount
of power loss, and then make sure you size your speed controllers and
power systems so that is achieved in the most efficient pwm band (most
ESCs vary in efficiency at different throttle levels).

Then you have
to optimize the battery capacity vs weight.

Lots of physics and
calculus to get it all right. :) I'm not much of a math guy so I'm doing
a lot of guessing.

Cheers,

Dan