[darkroom] Chems and Paper and Photoflo, oh my!

Daria Juniper daria at dangershy.ca
Wed Dec 3 19:16:58 EST 2014

Today I picked up the following:
     8x10 Kentmere Matte paper (x100)  -- works out to ~60 cents a sheet.
     T-MAX developer
     Ilford Paper Developer
     Kodak Photo Flo

Okie, so the Ilford Warmtone Paper Dev we have is for special ilford
paper which comes out ...toned... I know, a surprise huh.. The paper is
like 75$ a box so I decided to get some normal paper dev we can burn
through and save the warmtone stuff for if we want to get into
that...which might actually be nice.

I picked up a 500W light for developers and did some testing, despite it
being for a similar unit, it does not work well for our unit.  So, I did
some testing and it would appear a frosted 60W light works best.  So,
I've replaced the bulb in the enlarger and also remounted the enlarger
directly to the platform instead of that extended wood stand-off --
snugly.  The reason I did this was that there was a very noticable
keystone effect from the enlarger cantering inward due to it being
mounted improperly.  So that issue has been fixed and with the new bulb
and mount, the issue of light barrel and vignette has been reduced to
the point of being a non-issue.  Which now means we have a nice
consistent enlarger.

I also mixed up a liter of Photo Flo, which is reusable several
times...you basically rinse your developed film per usual, then give it
a soak in the Photo Flo for a short while.....then you string it up to
dry and such.  The Photo Flo is obviously reusable many times over, and
you'll find it in the black accordion canister top labeled FLO.

...oh, I put some tin foil around that really small "safe-light" that's
connected to the timer/enlarger and reduced it's output substantially,
it's likely actually safe to use now....check it out, let me know what
you think.

As for future paper purchases I was thinking something liek 6x8 since I
plan to predominately use medium format, but we will need to order or
find another source for 5x7 paper as the selection at Downtown Camera
consisted of basically exactly one type of glossy ilford multigrade paper.

Okie, enough texts.
-Daria