[Shop] Care and Feeding of the Milling machine

William Gibson william.gibson.wg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 21:32:51 EDT 2018

Hey people who use the milling machine.
Someone or many someone's haven't been careful enough with installing the
drawbar into the collets.
1. The threads on the left/bottom are trashed, so we had to fabricate a new
drawbar from scratch (and an inkjet printer).
Please start the threads carefully by hand.
Please only hit the drawbar with soft hammers, and only while threaded into
the collet, not just sitting loose on top.
2. The collets MUST be clean, and the socket on the mill must be cleaned
before installing a collet.
The drill collet on the left/bottom is in very poor shape and should be
replaced. We won't due to cost, so we just want everyone to be aware and
take steps to preserve our tools in good working order as long as possible.

Thanks,
Your friendly neighborhood shop hackers.